CULTURED VEGGIES WITH DIP AND SPROUTS
EQUIPMENT:1 liter Self Sealing Glass Jar, Sterilised
- Cultured Vegetables (Make a week before)
- 1 bunch of heirloom carrots with tops still attached
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 bunch small turnips with tops still attached
- 1 bunch small radishes with tops still attached
- 2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 Tbs salt
- 2 tsp each of Whole allspice, cumin seeds and yellow mustard seeds
- 1 pottle lite cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1/3 cup Wright Sprouts Sunflower Sprouts
- Your choice of crackers or flat breads
- Any or either of Alfalfa, Broccoli, or Radish Sprouts or micro-greens
- Sauerkraut (Optional)
METHOD: CULTURED VEGETABLES
Trim the tops and wash and scrub the root vegetables, slice in half the larger ones, wash celery and cut into lengths to fit in the jar.
Pack all the vegetables into the sterilized* jar vertically with the garlic slices.
Place the vinegar, sugar, salt and spices in a saucepan with 2 cups of water, bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Pour the hot pickling mixture into the jar to cover the vegetables.
Seal with a lid then cool before refrigerating for at least 1 week.
Note: The cultured vegetables will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks after opening.
* STERILISATION OF JAR:
Preheat oven to 120 degrees C. Wash jar and lid in hot soapy water and rinse and dry well.
Place jar and non-plastic lids in the oven for 20 minutes. (if the jar you are using has a rubber seal remove before sterilization.
Remove jar from oven and fill while still warm.
METHOD: SWEET CHILLI DIP
Soak the dried sunflower sprouts for 1-2 hours in 1 cup of water.
Drain and rinse the sprouts well, add to the cream cheese as well as the chili sauce and mix through until it is well combined.
Chill until you are ready to serve.
Serve this on a plater or wooden board, arrange the vegetables either sliced or whole. This makes a great snack to share with friends or to take as a plater for a party.
Note: to make this a vegan dish swap the dip for the Chickpea Hummus recipe in the recipe section of the website.
THIS RECIPE IS:
- Gluten Free